The Syma X1 is a great introduction to the quadcopter hobby that can be found for under $40!
The X1 can be flown indoors and out thanks to its stable flight controls. Its 360-degree versions allow it to perform stunts all for an affordable price. You know it will be a great seller because it’s manufactured by Syma and they’re known for great products like the X5C-1. Did it live up to my expectations? Here’s a quick summary before we move on to my Syma X1 review.
- Weight: 1.3 pounds
- Battery: 3.7V/350mAh Li-po
- Charging Time: About 40 Minutes
- Flight Time: About 6-8 Minutes
- Transmitter Distance: Up to 40 Meters
- 3-Axis GyroscopesBox Contents:
- Syma X1 Quadcopter
- 2.4GHz LCD Transmitter
- 3.7v 350mAh Li-Po battery (removable)
- USB Charger
- 2x Main blades A
- 2x Main blades B
- Instruction ManualSo many options…There are three different body styles (Bee, Spaceship, UFO) to choose from for the X1. I went ahead with the spaceship model but either way, you choose, they all have the same parts. The front face of the quad is white while the back is black. This helps with orientation in flight since it has no LEDs. The X1, as a whole, is very durable and feels sturdy. Each of the four main rotors is separated at equal length from the center plastic hub with carbon fiber pipelines. Just insert four AA batteries into the transmitter and have the quad’s battery charged up and you’re all set up to start flying this in the air.Control the quad with ease
The TX transmitter is a basic model that makes flight easy and straightforward. Just underneath the power switch is the LCD display that shows telemetry info during flight. It isn’t backlit so flying at evening times will be useless. You have the regular functions you find on transmitters these days. There is the stick for throttle and the stick for direction. You also have two triggers on the shoulders. Left is for switching between flight modes and the right is for activating the flip mode. Here you can do all the flips you want by holding the right trigger and pressing the right joystick in whatever direction you want to flip towards. Do all this with a transmitter distance of about 30 meters.
How’s the battery life?
The stock 3.7v 350mAh Li-Po battery provides you with about 8 minutes of flight time. Recharge takes about 40 to 60 minutes with the USB cable. Luckily extra batteries can be purchased for cheap on Amazon. Swapping out the battery can be a headache thanks to the battery cage being underneath the frame. Not that big of a deal but I thought it should be known.
Easy to repair
Don’t worry if you’re just starting out and already crashed the Syma X1 because this model is very easy to maintain. Purchase a wide variety of replacement parts online including new body frames, propeller blades, and motor parts.
The X1 is a great piece of hardware. What else can you expect from Syma? They introduced to the consumer market an affordable entry-level quadcopter with stable flight characteristics that are able to do extreme maneuvers and one that appeals to both beginner and advanced pilots alike. Just buy one for yourself and see what all the rave is about!